Title: Education Program Coordinator
Organization: Groundwork Lawrence
Brief Summary of Position:
Groundwork Lawrence (GWL), a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, has been making change happen in Lawrence, Massachusetts since 2001. Through community engagement, environmental and open space improvements, fresh food access, youth education, and employment initiatives, GWL creates the building blocks of a healthy community, and empowers residents to improve their quality of life. GWL achieves results by engaging the whole community – residents, youth, nonprofits, government and businesses – in the planning and realization of projects.
GWL is seeking an Educational Program Coordinator to implement a variety of youth education programs. Reporting to the Program Manager, this position collaborates with the education team and temporary summer staff to deliver top quality environmental and public health youth programming and helps integrate youth into GWL’s community activities and events.
Youth Education Program Responsibilities:
- Implement Schoolyard Garden/ Environmental/ STEM Education Programs: in-school and after school programs designed to cultivate healthy habits and promote healthy eating, active lifestyles, and environmental awareness for pre-K through middle school aged students.
- Assist with curriculum development for all youth education initiatives including schoolyard gardens, urban ecology and natural history programs, and stewardship projects.
- Implement vacation and summer camp education programs in partnership with schools, Summer Parks and Recreation, and other community based organizations like the Boys and Girls Club and YMCA.
- Participate in, and ensure youth integration in, GWL projects, community programs, and events including Earth Day, Spicket River Cleanup, Kite Festival, 5K and farmers markets.
- Collaborate with local colleagues and organizations to implement new and existing programs.
- Assume other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Must share a passion for Groundwork’s values and vision;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues;
- Be a self-starter and work well independently, as well as value collaboration;
- Demonstrated experience working with urban youth from pre-kindergarten to young adult;
- Must be experienced working in multi-cultural, inclusive settings;
- 2-3 years minimum experience in planning and delivering education programs;
- Demonstrated outstanding organizational skills along with strong oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to balance competing priorities and deadlines and to handle multiple tasks;
- Basic computer skills: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish;
- Subject expertise in environmental/ecological studies, urban agriculture, public health, and/or related fields;
- Experience working with/within school districts a plus;
- Experience with curriculum development and familiarity with MA State Curriculum Frameworks.
To apply: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Submit letter of interest describing your relevant experience and interest in Groundwork Lawrence along with your resume by September 15 to: Groundwork Lawrence, Attn: Human Resources, 60 Island Street, Lawrence, MA 01840, fax: (978) 974 – 0882, or firstname.lastname@example.org.