Title: General Counsel
Organization: Center for Health Information and Analysis
Brief Summary of Position:
The Center for Health Information and Analysis (CHIA) is a Massachusetts state agency that collects, shares, and analyzes a variety of sensitive health care related data sets in order to provide high-quality information about health care in the state. CHIA seeks a General Counsel to support the overall mission of the agency by providing sound legal advice that supports agency objectives, informs policy decisions, identifies risks, and ensures that agency actions are defensible and in compliance with statutes, regulations, and applicable executive branch policies and procedures.
In addition to providing general legal counsel, the GC manages CHIA’s data release processes (including public records), and manages procurement (in partnership with the Finance unit).
The GC manages 4 attorneys and 4 non-attorney staff.
- Provide counsel to the executive director, senior management team, and other staff on how to achieve agency goals in a complicated regulatory environment.
- Manage the agency’s Legal Department, including supervising litigation and outside counsel, as required, and managing all agency legal records.
- Oversee the agency’s privacy office, including the data release activities; provide advice on privacy and data release throughout the agency.
- Provide legal support for interactions with other state agencies.
- Ensure that agency regulations, policies, and activities comply with applicable laws, regulations and rules.
- Supervise the regulatory promulgation process. Draft or review and approve regulations and other regulatory documents.
- 10 years experience. Public sector experience or in-house counsel experience preferred.
- Commitment to excellence in both collaboration and compliance.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
To apply: Send resume to Cathy Cheng-Anderson: Catherine.Cheng@MassMail.State.MA.US