Title: Senior Vice President For Development
Organization: League of Conservation Voters and LCV Education Fund
Brief Summary of Position:
The SVP for Development will provide strategic leadership for the planning, implementation, evaluation, integration, and administration of LCV and LCV Education Fund’s Development Department. S/he will lead a skilled team of development professionals in achieving the organization’s revenue goals, increasing income, and educating and engaging more individuals and institutions in the work of LCV and LCV Education Fund. As part of the development team, s/he will work to raise at least $35 – $75 million annually to advance the organization’s mission.
LCV and LCV Education Fund have multi-faceted fundraising programs with an emphasis on personal solicitation of major donors, events, online and direct marketing, and foundation fundraising. The ideal candidate will have a strong record of success in raising significant gifts from individuals and foundations, including 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), PAC, and Super PAC contributions, and is responsible for personally bringing in significant gifts from new and existing donors. The SVP for Development will also play a key role in the leadership of the organization as part of the organization’s Executive Team. This person will be a strong manager of people and systems and have a deep commitment to protecting the environment and the communities that depend on it. The SVP for Development reports to the President.
- Work closely with the President, the Executive Team, and the development management team to establish fundraising goals, set strategic priorities, advise on program development, and develop and meet annual budgets for all entities.
- Manage and build a growing team of 15+ development professionals; provide ongoing guidance, direction, and motivation; ensure strong internal communication and coordination; evaluate performance; and provide opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- Work closely with the Boards of Directors to engage them more deeply in the fundraising process and help cultivate strong relationships between board members and the organization.
- Solicit contributions from major individual donors, including 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), PAC, and Super PAC gifts. The SVP is responsible for personally bringing in significant gifts from new and existing donors and stewarding long-term relationships with donors.
- Help oversee LCV Action Fund’s GiveGreen bundling program to raise at least $6 million in support of environmental candidates in the 2016 election cycle and beyond.
- Develop relationships with prospective individual and foundation donors to increase funding and visibility for LCV and LCV Education Fund’s programs.
- Oversee the implementation of ongoing programs to improve the renewal rates of existing annual donors, creatively use events to upgrade donors, and increase the pool of mid-range and high-level donors.
- Work with the VP of Development Operations to develop annual budgets and income projections and regularly update the President and the Board of Directors.
- Work with Executive Team members to ensure effective collaboration among departments and across entities, to implement branding strategy and develop marketing tools that increase public awareness of and attract donor support to LCV and LCV Education Fund.’
- Strategically direct the fundraising efforts of the President, Executive Team, and key program directors.
- Oversee the collaboration with State League partners and work with the State Capacity Building department to provide support to state leagues in all areas of fundraising, donor cultivation and stewardship, and operation to help support work of state leagues as well as LCV and LCV Education Fund.
- Stay abreast of political, philanthropic, and environmental trends and ensure that Board and staff are informed of changes in legislation and other trends and initiatives that might impact giving.
- Bachelor’s degree plus 12+ years fundraising experience.
- Experience managing a large team and a sophisticated development operation, including experience managing successful major gifts programs.
- Proven success in securing high dollar foundation and individual donor support, including 501(c)(4), PAC, and Super PAC contributions, from environmental and political funder communities; experience fundraising for a political advocacy organization.
- A clear understanding of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofit legal issues/structures.
- Well-developed writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Commitment to organization’s mission.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with, and quickly gain the respect and support of, various constituencies, including a visible chief executive committed to raising money, established development management team, active board members, other senior vice presidents, program directors, and donors.
- A record of success in organizing and implementing strategies that bring in needed revenue, analyzing and identifying problems, and formulating creative solutions.
- Experience as an articulate and persuasive communicator in both the spoken and written word; must be adept at crafting materials and making presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with “SVP Development” in the subject line.
Deadline: August 25, 2015.