Title: AmeriCorps VISTA Program Coordinator
Organization: Groundwork Lawrence (GWL)
Brief Summary of Position:
This is a 12-month AmeriCorps VISTA position. The Program/Outreach Coordinator in the DOI/VISTA program will serve to increase local support for land protection and stewardship, and to foster an ethic of community service and civic engagement among community groups and volunteers. The DOI/VISTA Program/Outreach Coordinator will assist GWL’s Community Program Director and staff, who are responsible for all community initiatives including food programs, community outreach and events, stewardship projects and other related projects at GWL.
- Support the expansion of GWL’s stewardship initiatives in parks, open spaces, and community gardens.
- Support and participate regularly in new and existing community and volunteer events.
- Assist with community engagement, including outreach efforts, corporate, volunteer and family events.
- Support stewardship initiatives with the Green Team, GWL’s high school youth employment program.
- Support the Development team with corporate and general fundraising
Other Responsibilities Include:
- Participate in, and ensure youth integration in, GWL projects, community programs, and events including Earth Day, Spicket River Cleanup, Kite Festival and farmers markets.
- Collaborate with local colleagues and organizations to implement new and existing programs.
- Support cross-departmental programs and projects.
- Assume other responsibilities, as needed.
- Must share a passion for Groundwork’s values and vision;
- Experience and interest in working with community groups, landowners and municipalities on urban land conservation and stewardship projects;
- Previous experience in landscape construction, stewardship, or gardening;
- Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of urban parks and conservation;
- Ability to work both independently and lead teams of youth and adults;
- Demonstrated outstanding organizational skills along with strong oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills;
- Basic computer skills: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Ability to balance competing priorities and deadlines and to handle multiple tasks;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues;
- Must be experienced working in multi-cultural, inclusive settings;
- Undergraduate degree required.
- Experience with youth job training initiatives;
- Subject expertise in environmental/ecological studies, urban agriculture, public health, and/or related fields;
- Experience developing and managing volunteer programs;
- Experience with Graphic Design, ArcView, AutoCAD, GIS, mapping, and Adobe;
- Familiarity with urban planning, landscape architecture, and green infrastructure;
- Bilingual in English and Spanish (verbal), strong translation skills a plus.
Compensation: This is a 12-month AmeriCorps position. AmeriCorps VISTA members are paid a living stipend and provided with a $5645 education award at the completion of their service. This position reports to the Community Programs Director and requires some evening and weekend hours.
Hiring Policy: GWL is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any legally protected status. City of Lawrence residents are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit letter of interest describing your relevant experience and interests and your resume by June 15, 2015 to: Groundwork Lawrence, Attn: Human Resources, 60 Island Street, Lawrence, MA 01840, fax: (978) 974 – 0882, or email@example.com.
No phone calls please. Email inquiries may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org