Title: Campaign Representative, Electric Vehicles
Organization: Sierra Club
Brief Summary of Position:
Carries out the strategies and activities for the Beyond Oil Campaign’s Electric Vehicles Initiative. The Sierra Club’s EV Initiative works at the local, state, and national levels to advocate for incentives that will make EVs less expensive and more convenient. We also work to accelerate EV adoption through widespread public outreach. The Campaign Representative is responsible, as assigned, for planning, coordination and implementation of Electric Vehicles Initiative strategies and activities. Collaborates with and coordinates the Campaign’s activities nationally and with the state Chapters, volunteers and appropriate staffing resources. Develops strategies, implements work plans, communicates priorities and benchmarks, provides leadership, and promotes participation. Represents the Sierra Club to media, business and community leaders, allies, and the public.
- Plans and carries out activities for the Electric Vehicles Initiative. Participates in the development of a strategic campaign plan, goals, and objectives including development of strong grassroots networks to achieve campaign goals. Works with the campaign and appropriate national, regional and Chapter staff, allies, and volunteer entities to plan and implement campaigns that will achieve the campaign’s mission.
- Develops and implements a variety of engagement strategies including online and face-to-face actions to support the campaign.
- Creates and updates online and print campaign educational and advocacy materials.
- Organizes public events, including National Drive Electric Week for which Sierra Club is one of the main national organizers. Recruits volunteers and allies to organize public events, and provides event organizing tools.
- Researches issues pertaining to campaign news and opportunities.
- Recruits individuals and businesses to support EVs and specific campaign activities.
- Provides conservation training and motivation to staff and volunteers. Works to develop and ensure that volunteers assume meaningful roles in the program/campaign.
- Participates in media outreach activities related to the campaign/program. Serves as Sierra Club spokesperson to media outlets and promotes volunteer media exposure.
- Write blogs posts and promotes campaign on social media platforms. Represents the Sierra Club to the general public and to strategic allies. Responds to regular emails and calls from supporters and the public who have questions/comments about our campaign. Assists with donor communications, cultivation and solicitation under the direction of Conservation staff and Advancement staff.
- Reports on progress toward established goals and the effectiveness of campaign strategies.
- Introduces creative ideas and approaches for consideration.
- Handles miscellaneous projects and duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills:
- B.A./B.S. degree in an environmental or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 3 years of experience in the planning and implementation of campaigns, which includes; strategy, organizing, media relations and contacts with political and business leaders.
- Expert knowledge of energy solution issues.
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated public speaking and media presentation ability.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with volunteers and coalition allies.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and in teams.
- Valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required.