Title: Public Information Manager
Organization: Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD)
Brief Summary of Position:
The Public Information Manager is a key member of the Public Affairs & Education Department, which supports GLAD’s litigation, legislative and policy work through communications; builds public support for LGBT rights and the rights of people with HIV; promotes GLAD; and educates individuals and the community about their legal rights and how to exercise them.
The PI Manager has primary responsibility for the operation of GLAD’s legal information service, GLAD Answers, which is free, confidential, and staffed by volunteers. It provides the public with legal information about LGBTQ/HIV legal issues in New England as well as referrals to lawyers and other organizations that can assist them. GLAD Answers plays the vital roles of educating individuals one-on-one about their rights, and helping GLAD identify patterns of discrimination and cases the organization may litigate.
The PI Manager is responsible for recruiting, training, and supervising GLAD Answers volunteers, as well as maintaining GLAD Answers resources, including the Lawyer Referral Service, Agency Referral Database and GLAD Answers publications. He or she may also provide legal information through public speaking and workshops, and may represent GLAD to the community in coalitions and collaborations.
The Public Information Manager is supervised by the Public Affairs and Education Director.
- Become familiar with LGBTQ/HIV legal issues in the six New England states and keep up with ongoing developments in the law
- Work with the legal team and public affairs and education team to respond to new questions about people’s rights
- As changes occur in the law, educate GLAD Answers volunteers and assist the Legal Department with updating publications
- Perform outreach activities (speaking, conducting workshops, serving on coalitions, attending meetings) as needed
GLAD Answers Volunteers
- Semi-annually, recruit volunteers and provide training in collaboration with the Legal Department
- Maintain the GLAD Answers Training Manual, training role plays and other training materials
- Provide daily supervision, support, and feedback to the volunteers
- Perform intakes when needed and follow up on complex matters
- Review intakes for accuracy and completeness and in some cases indicate additional information that should be provided
- Liaison w/ GLAD attorneys about complicated or urgent matters & possible issues that may be of interest to the Legal Department
- Triage calls from attorneys outside GLAD who wish to consult with GLAD attorneys
- Maintain the FileMaker intake database
GLAD Answers Resources
- Maintain agency referral resources for the GLAD Answers volunteers
- Maintain the FileMaker Agency Referral Database
- Work with PA&E department to promote GLAD Answers as a resource
- Assess and implement new options for delivering GLAD Answers services
Lawyer Referral Service (LRS)
- Manage GLAD’s Lawyer Referral Service
- Recruit, register, and renew LRS attorneys
- Assist the Legal Department in authoring and editing legal information materials for the general public
- Maintain publications/printed materials to be sent to people who contact GLAD Answers
- Work with the Manager of Integrated Media to maintain the publications and GLAD Answers materials on the GLAD website
- Dedication to and familiarity with LGBTQ/HIV civil rights; interest in the law.
- Ability to assimilate complex information and convey it to lay audiences.
- A minimum of 3- 5 years of relevant experience, which may include hotline work, community education, volunteer training/management, legal work, or social work.
- Supervision experience.
- Customer service orientation.
- Ability to balance expectations of various stakeholders: volunteers, callers, lawyers, community members.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- College degree or equivalent experience.
- Spanish proficiency desirable but not required.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume and writing sample by April 8 to Carisa Cunningham, Director of Public Affairs and Education, at email@example.com. Please include the title “Public Information Manager” in the email’s subject line. No phone calls please.