Title: Government Affairs Manager
Organization: Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC)
Brief Summary of Position:
The Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC), the regional planning agency for Metro Boston, seeks a Government Affairs Manager (hereafter, Manager) to help achieve the public policy goals of its long-range regional plan, MetroFuture. This is an opportunity to work in a dynamic, inter-disciplinary, and innovative environment to build a more sustainable and equitable future for metropolitan Boston. For further detail on MAPC and its government affairs work, see www.mapc.org.
The Manager will work closely with other staff at MAPC, state agencies, local officials, community groups, businesses, and institutions to advance MAPC’s policy agenda in Metro Boston. The Manager oversees MAPC’s legislative team, which advocates for a wide range of bills and budget items at the State House to advance smart growth and regional collaboration. The team also works closely on policy issues with the Executive Branch and, occasionally, on the Federal level.
Working with the MAPC Legislative and Executive Committees, the Manager will help to develop the agency’s annual legislative agenda in areas including: land use and development; transportation; affordable housing; environmental issues, including water, energy, climate change, and open space; regionalism and regional service delivery; youth violence prevention; public health; equity; and other related areas. The Manager will play a lead role in identifying areas for advocacy, and developing and implementing strategies to accomplish MAPC’s legislative agenda. The Manager will also play a key role in implementing the legislative components of MetroFuture, MAPC’s regional plan through 2030. The Manager will provide legislative and advocacy support for the Massachusetts Association of Regional Planning Agencies (MARPA), the Massachusetts Smart Growth Alliance, Transportation for Massachusetts, and other allies. The Manager also oversees the Metro Mayors Coalition, a collaboration of 14 mayors and municipal managers from Boston and surrounding communities who seek creative solutions to common problems.
The Manager should possess most or all of the following qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in public administration, public policy, planning, politics or related field and four years of progressively more responsible related experience preferably in a public policy arena, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Broad knowledge of state, local and federal government functions, including a general understanding of municipal governance and finance, transportation, land use planning, and/or related fields.
- Strong research, writing, and public presentation skills.
- Demonstrated history of entrepreneurial work ethic and ability to manage projects to completion with limited supervision.
- Experience leading and working in interdisciplinary teams.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to gather information, analyze data, make recommendations, and prepare written materials.
- Knowledge of smart growth and sustainable development principles.
Salary, Benefits, and Application Details:
This is a full time position with an excellent state employee benefits package. Starting salary will range from $65,000 to $75,000 depending on qualifications and experience. Position open until filled. Candidates must have legal authorization to work in the USA and a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region. MAPC is an EOE/AA employer.