Organization: Massachusetts Association of Community Health Workers (MACHW)
Brief Summary of Position:
The Massachusetts Association of Community Health Workers (MACHW) is seeking a Director to provide inspiring and productive leadership for this statewide professional organization of community health workers (CHWs). MACHW was founded in 2000 to empower CHWs to lead the movement to organize, define and strengthen the profession of community health work. In 2014, MACHW merged with Central Massachusetts Area Health Center, Inc. (CM AHEC). The new MACHW Director will report to the CM AHEC Executive Director and will work closely with the MACHW Advisory Board and other MACHW and CM AHEC staff and CHW stakeholders, including CHW leaders, government officials, and advocates at the state and national levels. Priorities for the position include organizational development and support for MACHW’s role as a leading voice for CHWs in Massachusetts and as an active contributor to state and national-level CHW-related advocacy and policy-making, especially in regards to health care reform. This is a full time position based in Worcester, MA, and will require frequent in-state travel and occasional night and weekend work.
- Coordinate strategic planning and lead implementation of the Memorandum of Agreement for merger between MACHW and CM AHEC.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase individual and organizational membership.
- Support leadership development through all levels of the organization, including recruitment and engagement of Advisory Board members.
- Assure growth and sustainability through grants, contracts, fees-for-services, and grassroots fundraising.
Policy and Advocacy
- Support Advisory Board and membership participation in planning policy priorities and implementing advocacy events and campaigns.
- Position MACHW as an indispensable resource for promoting the CHW workforce. Convene and participate in policy-making discussions at the state, regional, and national levels.
- Develop and manage strategic partnerships with policy makers, employers, advocates, coalitions, and funders.
- Identify new opportunities for MACHW leadership, engagement, and impact.
- Assure regular, timely, informative, and action-oriented communications to MACHW members and partners through multiple media, including MACHW’s website.
- Convene regular meetings with MACHW Advisory Board leaders and CM AHEC management.
- Coordinate marketing and public relations.
- Supervise MACHW staff and consultants.
- Oversee logistics for meetings, events, and campaigns, including support for convening and documenting Advisory Board meetings.
- Cooperate with CM AHEC management on budget-making, financial management, and reporting.
Competitive candidates will possess specific and comprehensive understanding of the CHW workforce, including history, roles, impacts, challenges, and opportunities. Work experience as a CHW, particularly, or as a CHW supervisor, manager, clinical partner, or trainer is highly preferred. Organizational leadership or significant program management experience is also highly preferred. Training and public speaking skills and experience with the Massachusetts legislative process are encouraged. CM AHEC encourages applications from candidates reflecting the diversity of the CHW workforce. Requirements for the position include:
- Demonstrated commitment to health equity and social justice
- Demonstrated ability to express vision and lead others
- High level of individual initiative and ability to work productively with limited supervision, both
independently and within a team
- Experience forging partnerships with diverse stakeholders and dealing diplomatically and
effectively with a wide variety of individuals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Creative problem solving and organizational skills
- Strong time management skills, with ability to juggle multiple projects and reliably meet
deadlines with accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office and word processing, spreadsheet and data
base applications; skill with social media, publishing, and website applications strongly preferred
- Massachusetts driver’s license with own car in reliable working condition
- Flexibility to travel as needed and to work occasional irregular hours to accommodate member needs.
Salary is dependent on qualifications and experience. CM AHEC offers a generous benefits package including sick, vacation, and holiday leave; health insurance; and a 401(k) retirement program.
Submit resume with cover letter by February 24, 2015 to: Martha Benitez, Central Massachusetts Area Health Education Center, Inc. 35 Harvard Street, Suite 300, Worcester, MA 01609 or email to email@example.com