Title: Senior Vice President/ Chief Operating Officer
Organization: Crittenton Women’s Union
Brief Summary of Position:
CWU’s Senior Vice President/Chief Operating Officer (SVP/COO) is responsible for oversight of the majority of CWU’s direct and administrative services including housing, mobility mentoring programs, family support services, behavioral health and case management, research and evaluation, human resources, facilities management, and food services. In the absence of the President and CEO, the SVP/COO serves as the acting head of the organization. He or she also provides primary staff support to the Program Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Serves as primary staff advisor to the President and CEO; directly advises the President/CEO on all areas of organizational strategy and oversight.
- Oversees all programs’ performance and outcomes, as well as budget and contractual compliance, in conjunction with department heads.
- Supervises department heads to develop program strategies, budgets and staffing plans
- Collaborates with Senior Leadership Team members and assists the President/CEO in:
o Developing of organization’s strategic plan and budget;
o Creating and implementing advocacy, research and fundraising plans;
o Building and oversight of organizational outcomes measures;
o Oversight of program budget compliance
- Nurtures and promotes many of CWU’s external relationships with organizational partners including city, state and federal funding agencies, research and non-profit agencies, and neighborhood resident groups
- Contributes to and serves as expert reviewer for CWU’s written publications, including reports and briefs, annual reports, and grant proposals
- Represents and speaks on behalf of the organization at local, state, and national forums and public events
- Provides internal and external training and technical assistance regarding CWU approaches to service, research, and outcomes
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Extensive first-hand knowledge of non-profit human service programs and delivery systems including: public policies, program design, oversight, government and philanthropic funding
- Significant experience managing and supervising staff members of varying areas and levels of expertise within a large organizational operating structure, including multiple departments
- Clear track record of designing and implementing successful new programs
- Strong understanding of outcomes measurement strategies, execution and oversight within a complex human service agency
- Solid strategic management and planning experience, preferably having held a leadership role within an organization that has undergone significant growth and expansion
- Demonstrable experience conducting or overseeing applied research, or partnering with applied research within human services programs
- Exceptional communication skills in written, interpersonal, and public settings
- Strong character and sense of integrity with a personal history of being highly mission-driven, entrepreneurial, resilient, collaborative, warm, and engaging
Educational and Other Requirements:
- No less than seven years’ management experience, at least five of which have been at a senior staff level within a human services setting is required.
- A master’s degree in a relevant field is required; a PhD is preferred.
- Health and/or human services clinical licensure is beneficial.
- Bilingual, bicultural, and candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions: Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eye sight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Work is performed in both office and direct services environments. Work may be stressful and fast-paced at times. Must be able to work flexible hours. Some travel required (own transportation required).