Title: Deputy Director
Brief Summary of Position:
LivableStreets seeks a highly motivated and experienced professional who will play a critical role in helping LivableStreets achieve its vision to provide high quality programs and have a major impact on transforming our streets in metro Boston. 2015 is an exciting year for LivableStreets as we will be celebrating our 10 year anniversary, increasing our budget, launching new initiatives, and embarking on our next strategic plan. In this newly established role, the Deputy Director will be instrumental in positioning the organization for continued success.
- Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, ranging from program management to volunteer coordination and external communications. The Deputy Director will partner closely with the Executive Director to chart LivableStreets future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s services. The ideal candidate will be someone with the ability to create a plan and implement it from start to finish, and inspire teams of people to get involved in order to maximize impact. The Deputy Director will manage diverse teams of people as needed to accomplish the their work plan; including hiring, training, and managing consultants, volunteers, interns, and high level professionals who are volunteers for the organization.
- Develop and lead a comprehensive strategic membership and communication plan that will meet LivableStreets ambitious 10 Year Anniversary public engagement and fundraising goals, approximately $250k, for its key initiatives in 2015.
- Direct series of public events to meet program area goals; including StreetTalk forums and 6th annual Bike4Life ride fundraiser, raising $70k in 2014.
- Develop and manage written and electronic external communications, including StreetLife e-newsletter, collateral materials, social media, website, and other communication tools as needed.
- Coordinate public engagement initiatives for advocacy projects.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence through rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of budget, administration, fundraising, communications, and systems.
- Manage Database Specialist Consultant to manage contact and donor database for effective and efficient tracking of information to carry out membership, volunteer, and public engagement programs.
- Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs.
- Participate in LivableStreets new multi-year strategic planning process to guide work for 2016-2020.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual to take on a leadership position in growing non-profit. The successful candidate will have:
- 3+ distinguished years in a management position in a nonprofit organization, business, or start up.
- Track record delivering superior results, commanding respect, and assuming leadership roles.
- Experience managing a membership program preferred.
- Proven project and team management experience; managing complex and multifaceted projects, while responding to multiple priorities, and resulting in measurable successes.
- Ability to creatively and strategically engage essential staff, board members, consultants, and volunteers to accomplish work.
- Communications and public engagement experience.
- Detailed-oriented and ability to see the big picture
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to quickly and clearly synthesize information
- Proficiency with technology platforms, including project management platforms, membership databases (Salesforce a plus), Adobe Creative Suite, email marketing (Soapbox a plus), social media, and Microsoft Office.
- Flexibility to work outside regular 9-5 hours, including 1-2 evenings a week for work related meetings, events, and public presentations.
- Experience on transportation and livability issues is a plus, but the position does not require work experience in the transportation sector – we will consider candidates who have successfully worked on other issues as long as the individual is committed to LivableStreets’ mission.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter and a resume addressed to ‘LivableStreets’ to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Deputy Director’ in the subject line. Please also note how you found out about the position in your cover letter.