This month we are delighted to spotlight the experts who have agreed to serve on MPHA’s Annual Meeting panel discussion regarding the social determinants of health. After watching “The Raising of America,” the panelists will share their reactions on a specific social or economic factor that influences health and will take questions from the audience.
Moderator: Christie Hager, JD, MPH, is a public health lawyer with over 20 years of experience in state and federal health policy regulation, prevention, public health, and access to health care for vulnerable and underserved populations. She had an instrumental role in the development, enactment, and early implementation of Massachusetts’ trend-setting 2006 health reform law.
- Region 1 (New England) Director, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- Chief Health Counsel to Speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representatives
- Past president of the Massachusetts Public Health Association
- Deputy Director of Division of Public Health Practice at Harvard School of Public Health
- Director of the Massachusetts Health Policy Forum
- Director, Trauma Services, Boston Public Health Commission
- Founder, Kilombo Novo Capoeira Angola
- Board Member, Operation LIPSTICK
- 2009 Boston Neighborhood Fellow
- Researcher, Boston University School of Medicine
- President and CEO of the Massachusetts Association of Community Development Corporations (MACDC)
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Board Member, Massachusetts Growth Capital Corporation
- Director, Mass Citizens for Safe Energy
- Policy Analyst, Public Citizen
Panelist: Mayor Daniel Rivera, MBA, is a life-long resident of the City of Lawrence with a vision and a plan to restore and revitalize the once vibrant city with his varied and abundant experiences in business and economic development.
- Economic Development Director for U.S. Representative Marty Meehan
- Marketing Manager for BirdDog Inc, AspenTech, Inc, Philips LifeLine, Inc
- Lawrence City Councilor at Large and Chair of the Budget and Finance Committee
- US Army Military Police veteran of Operations Dessert Storm and Dessert Shield
- Project Manager, Lawrence Housing Authority
- Board Member, Lawrence Boys & Girls Club
Panelist: Hon. Marie St. Fleur, JD, is an attorney and child advocate who’s concern for the youngest residents of Massachusetts propelled her into political office in the late 1990s.
- President and CEO, Bessie Tartt Wilson Initiative for Children
- Chair, The Advisory Council for the Haiti Fund at The Boston Foundation
- Board Member, Dorchester Boys and Girls Club
- MA State Representative (Roxbury/Dorchester), Vice Chair of Ways & Means
- Chief of Advocacy & Strategic Investment for Boston Mayor Tom Menino
- Past president of the MA Black Lawyers Association