Organization: UMass Medical School
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Competitive based upon experience
Benefits: UMass Medical School offers generous paid time off and other benefits. Please visit the website to learn more.
Brief Summary of Position:
Commonwealth Medicine’s Center for Health Law and Economics (CHLE) provides public and private sector clients with the consultative expertise necessary to interpret, understand and comply with health reform efforts, changes in health care laws and economic effects of health care policies including the design and implementation of Medicaid and Medicare waivers, drafting laws and related documents and negotiating federal approval for these programs – particularly around Massachusetts’ landmark health care reform initiative. Our consulting also includes the analysis of financial incentives and organizational components of health care systems to predict or measure effects on consumers and the market.
Reporting to the Associate Vice-Chancellor and Director of the Center for Health Law and Economics (CHLE), the Principal is responsible for providing program leadership and strategic planning for all business activities within the UMass Medical School’s Center for Health Law and Economics, and providing executive level health law and policy consultation and analytic services to the Center’s most important clients: agencies (state and federal), policy centers and foundations, as well as certain non-profit health care organizations. As candidates in the position must have a J.D., the position may be considered for a non-tenured faculty appointment in one of the academic departments of the medical school if the incumbent is interested in such an appointment. If the candidate is offered a faculty appointment, up to 10% of time may be dedicated to academic responsibilities.
- Ensure that clients are provided with the highest standard of products or services as documented by the degree of client satisfaction and internal responsiveness to client issues or concerns.
- Provide or oversee the provision of exceptional subject matter expert advice to clients in the subject matters within the competencies and experience of the incumbent.
- Oversee strategic implementation of business objectives for the Center.
- Develop and lead major projects and long-term collaborations with other Centers within Commonwealth Medicine (CWM), the University, as well as other University policy centers.
- Provide active leadership of and contribution to strategic planning and organizational development of the Center, as well as representation and participation in CWM-wide or University -wide business and strategic planning meetings.
- Collaborate in business expansion planning.
- Oversee and deliver client presentations and site visits.
- Provide expert consultation, analysis and complex project leadership for major programmatic or policy initiatives of the Governor and his cabinet Secretaries or principals of health care organizations in health, human services or health insurance matters or for grant making entities, foundations or policy centers.
- Develop new business opportunities in other States, other Massachusetts agencies, federal agencies, policy foundations and centers.
- Oversee the drafting of or draft scope of service provisions of contracts , business agreements and proposals necessary to secure new work and document service and compensation expectations of parties/clients, subject to review by appropriate University offices.
- Oversee and participate in budget forecasting and financial planning for the Center, as assigned.
- Manage Performance Appraisals and Evaluations of senior staff.
- Support professional development of senior staff.
- Direct the development and implementation of the Continuous Quality Improvement program.
- Perform related duties, as required.
Juris Doctorate (JD) and 10 years relevant legal or health care consultation, health policy analysis or public health policy at a management level, including at least 5 years of experience in public assistance program design and administration in the health and human services arena. Superb ability to interpret new and existing laws, regulations and case law in all areas of publicly-sponsored health care programs, health insurance regulation and employer-sponsored health benefits and to draft proposed legislation and regulations in these areas is a must. Should also have comprehensive experience and an understanding of scope of service drafting for contract and other legal agreements, contract management and budgeting. Substantial project management skills and strategic planning experience as well as superb writing ability and oral communication skills, including publications or drafting of successful federal demonstration project proposals in health or human services subject matter is also required. Demonstrated ability to address large professional audiences and present complex material in a cogent manner. Ability to facilitate meetings and establish productive, professional relationships with executive management, government officials, and private contractors. Demonstrated success in managing executive level business dealings and providing advice to governmental officials at the cabinet level or higher, and to the principals or senior executives of health care organizations.
Preferably, in addition to J.D., Master’s Degree in public health, public policy, public or business administration, health care management or related field. Substantial experience in Massachusetts through governmental positions of leadership and senior responsibility, especially related to national Medicaid policy issues relative to long term care, services and supports in the community or through significant consulting experience to public agency clients. Deep expertise in Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security benefit programs, employee health plans, ERISA or ADA and disability benefits.
Why join Commonwealth Medicine’s Center for Health Law and Economics? You can be a part of an experienced team of key influencers who have legal and policy expertise in health care systems and reform along with decades of policy and program management experience at the executive level. You will also be able to assist in the design and development of new health care programs and financing models for public sector programs such as Medicaid, SCHIP and uncompensated care. This position will be considered for a non-tenured faculty appointment in one of the academic departments of the medical school.
CWM offers a rewarding environment where cutting edge and pioneering health care and business services programs and projects are developed and managed.
UMass Medical School is committed to being an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and recognizes the power of a diverse community.
UMass Medical School encourages applications from protected veterans, individuals with disabilities and those with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds to consider UMass Medical School as their employer of choice.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
Contact: All candidates must apply on-line to be considered for positions.
Application Position is posted until a sufficient pool of candidates has been identified.