Title: Government Relations Specialist
Organization: Boston Children’s Hospital
Brief Summary Position:
This position identifies opportunities and strategies to influence public policy changes and develops policy positions in assigned areas such as public health, childhood health and wellness and injury prevention. In addition the position manages the hospital’s grassroots advocacy strategy via the Children’s Advocacy Network, provides administrative support to the Office of Government Relations and the Office of Community Health and supervises the Government Relations interns.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Provides legislative and administrative advocacy support by working closely with the Government Relations team to identify opportunities to influence public policy changes, develop policy positions in assigned issue areas, and assist in implementing the strategies.
2. Oversees the Office of Government Relations state legislative and budgetary priorities in the areas of childhood health and wellness, public health and injury prevention.
3. Plans and executes necessary legislative or administrative “sell” including the development of messaging points, technical data and financial information. Facilitates and coordinates hospital staff’s communications on policy issues. Works at the city, state and federal levels as necessary to support the Hospital’s policy agenda.
4. Plans and executes tours and events designed to educate government officials and community leaders about the Hospital. Responds to information and constituent service requests; and represents the Hospital at relevant coalition meetings and community events.
5. Provides the management of the Hospital’s grassroots advocacy program. Writes various forms of internal and external advocacy communications to raise awareness of advocacy activities as well as the Hospital’s commitment to the community.
6. Works on behalf of the Children’s Advocacy Network (CAN). Writes updates for the CAN newsletter and other Children’s publications and tracking communication with legislators. Helps facilitate briefings, and trainings of CHB staff, volunteers, parents, etc. in advocacy efforts. Serves as a point person for social media and utilizes technological tools to implement the department’s social media and grass root efforts.
7. Provides leadership and assistance to internal working groups to develop advocacy-related policy positions on behalf of the Hospital.
8. Supervises office interns and hospital residents in advocacy activities.
9. Provides administrative support to the Government Relations team including maintaining record-keeping systems, scheduling appointments and meetings, collecting and recording information in hospital databases, compiling and distributing reports.
Minimum Knowledge and Skills Required
- Work requires the level of knowledge typically acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s degree, and at least two to three years of previous related experience.
- Work requires the analytical skills to resolve problems that require the use of basic scientific, mathematical, or technical principles.
- Work requires the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and provide empathy in difficult interpersonal situations.
- Work requires the ability to work with diverse internal and external constituencies.
State lobbying registration is required.
Apply The Req ID is 33808BR the title is Spec. Gov’t Relations.